Where Do I Start?

Hello,

My company is interested in leveraging the Cloud Posse repo to build out a brand new AWS infrastructure, but I have no idea where to start.

All I (believe) we need to set up is

1. Accounts
  2. IAM policies for these accounts?
  3. Probably a VPC? Basically we will be running a couple HaProxy Enterprises in here that cross connect into our infrastructure
  4. Probably route 53 configurations to point to haproxy?

Also, is there an easier way to navigate the repository other than github? Something that sorts the playbooks into categories maybe?

Is there a way for me to run these terraform jobs without initially costing money? Is there a quick way to create / recreate / destroy everything without getting charged?

Hey @HillOps,

Good questions and wish you luck on the journey. Definitely a lot to unpack.

The best place to start would be https://docs.cloudposse.com/ to get an idea for the tools and processes. It’s not as complete as we’d like it to be, but it does provide an overview of some of the essentials and should point you in the right direction of thought.

The next place would be Slack. We have a very active community there and if you’re persistent then you’ll get some help. You can also check out the #office-hours channel and ask any questions there and @erik does a solid job of trying to answer the best he can.

For your infra’s specific needs, once you check out the docs linked above, check out GitHub - cloudposse/terraform-aws-components: Opinionated, self-contained Terraform root modules that each. These are off-the-shelf terraform root modules that you can use which should provide for some of your needs (Accounts, VPC, ect).

GitHub is the best place to navigate all the open source work. Get good at searching on GH and you should find it adequate for your needs.

No way to run terraform properly without costing money unfortunately.

Good luck and see you in Slack!

• Matt